Monarch Way Academy, winding down

By | 5:06 PM Leave a Comment

The end of the school year is fast approaching. We are finishing up books and subjects one at a time, dwindling down to the very end. Ella took her end of year test last week, and I'll test the boys in few more weeks.

It has been a great year and we all have learned so much! I can now say that for the first time in my life I actually understand the moon cycle and what a solar/lunar eclipse is, ha! Oh wait, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to admit stuff like that?! I am so proud of how each of the kids progressed and met goals...and we had fun doing it.








Because our Summer will be spent in Haiti this year I'm having to be way ahead of the game and plan out for our 2015-16 school year before we leave. I already have most of our books for next year and hope to be finished with all the planning by the end of this week.

It's always this time of year that I reflect back on the school year...what worked, what didn't, what was the favorite, what was the flop...and reevaluate and reprioritize for the next year. I'm thrilled with how our year went...but I'm never ever 100% satisfied with everything. And that's the beauty of this educational choice: I'm not locked into anything forever. I can tweak or I can overhaul based on our needs.

What I'm changing up: I'm switching out Eli's math curriculum, both boys Grammar/Phonics, and I will be having my kiddo's do more writing next year, outside of what their English curriculum requires.

What I'm keeping: Our science and history curriculum and everyone else's math curriculum. And, of course, our artist of the month study, because it's my favorite thing to teach!

What I'm ditching: We are going way lower-tech in our house. Way lower. (Hello world of dumb phones!) I know that will impact some areas of our schooling, but I am confident it will be for the better for our family.

What I'm adding: We are joining a co-op for the first time ever and I'm excited for what (I hope!) it will add to our homeschool.

And now, bring on the Summer!

Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: